Thursday, September 10, 2009

Beat Lawro Returns

Standings going in to week 5:

Lawro 20, 3 perfect - 10pts
Tarquin 21, 5 perfect - 17.5 pts

*Out of 36 played

----

Blackburn v Wolverhampton

Blackburn v Wolverhampton
Wolves will no doubt get at Blackburn but I think they'll be just a little too solid for them, I'm going for a narrow home win

Lawro: 2-1
Tarquin: 1-0


Liverpool v Burnley

Liverpool v Burnley
Well I managed to get Chelsea v Burnley spot on with a 3-0 last time and got a free fiver for it, so should I go for it again? I always miss Liverpool so maybe I'll stick to it

Lawro: 3-0
Tarquin: 3-0

Man City v Arsenal

Man City v Arsenal

This will be interesting - two teams that should be fairly well-matched, City have yet to be really challenged and Arsenal have more quality, but that said they aren't much of a physical presence and don't always travel well, and have lost Arshavin for a few weeks...tricky - City are the punters' favourites at a reasonable 2/1 but that's because they think it's good value, not because they are more likely to win, I'll tip Arsenal with Fabregas back

But what's the betting Adebayor will score? (an extra point if he does, hehe)


Lawro: 1-1
Tarquin: 1-2

Portsmouth v Bolton

Portsmouth v Bolton

I'm tempted by Lawro's nil-nil I must admit, but I'm inclined to think that even Bolton can net at Fratton park this year, but don't hold me to it

Lawro: 0-0
Tarquin: 0-1

Stoke v Chelsea

Stoke v Chelsea

Another tricky one, Chelsea will have to work hard for this and I wonder if the international break could just swing it in Stoke's favour, I'm going to stick my neck out and say Chelsea's perfect run has to end somewhere

Lawro: 0-2
Tarquin: 0-0


Sunderland v Hull

Sunderland v Hull

Sunderland have just nabbed one of Hull's best defenders, and they're at home, I'm strongly backing Sunderland

Lawro: 2-1
Tarquin: 2-0


Wigan v West Ham

Wigan v West Ham

West Ham don't really take much on the road, Wigan meanwhile have only taken points from their opener at Villa so I'm not expecting much here - I think if Wigan turn up then it should be a comfortable first home win

Lawro: 2-1
Tarquin: 1-0


Tottenham v Man Utd (1730 KO)

Tottenham v Man Utd

Ah, the glamour match - I don't know what to make of this one, Spurs can attack, but their defence is still full of holes, and they've lost their string-puller Modric, while United are yet to find their form and are still possibly without Rio - tough, I think United should be slight favourites - if they keep it tight then they should be fine, but I don't see a huge goal threat, conversely if they let Lennon run around then Spurs will have a field day, so I'll stick to a draw, and probably watch as Abou Diaby pops his idiot head up and ruins me again...

Lawro: 1-1
Tarquin: 1-1

Birmingham v Aston Villa (1200 KO)

Birmingham v Aston Villa

This one's up in the air - Birmingham are solid but if Villa show up then they should be able to break them down, but then it's a local derby and anything can happen - but I'm still sticking with conventional wisdom

Lawro: 1-1
Tarquin: 1-2

Fulham v Everton (1615 KO)

Fulham v Everton

I expect a solid display from both sides - Fulham don't seem quite the side they were last season, and nor do Everton just yet, but they both seem to be settling a bit, and I wonder if we'll see anything of note here - Lawro thinks goal machine (seven whole goals last season!) Andy Johnson was a big loss, I say the loss of a bloke who couldn't hit a barn door with a cow, let alone a banjo, is no big deal - I'd rather have the good luck charm Zamora - a slight Fulham win (please...I need clean sheets)

Lawro 1-2
Tarquin 1-0

No comments:

Post a Comment