Tuesday, June 2, 2009

We're in the cup!

I am being very optimistic, but first I must express my shock at Barry's move to Man City - no warning, no flirting, no 'will he, won't he' bollocks for weeks on end....I like it

That is how you do a transfer deal, Mr. Whingey-pants - you do not express your love for a different club each week for two years and never actually leave

I will grant that Barry arsed about with Liverpool last summer, but fair play to the boy today for making a decisive decision, and I think it's pretty clear all the 'arsing' last year was on Liverpool's front

I am somewhat perplexed as to why he's gone to City from arguably the team with the most potential in the league - 'Champions' League football' last year was one thing, but he's moved to a club who didn't even get into Europe this year

Now as I said, I have respect for Barry and clearly he felt City, with masses of money and a bloody good manager are headed somewhere soon, but it does seem a strange one - Villa have arguably a better manager (more accomplished at least) and are pretty big themselves, they aren't exactly a feeder club

Maybe Barry felt he was going nowhere in the UEFA cup (sorry, 'Europa Premiero really good, please watch us' league) every year? Perhaps he thinks the likes of Villa (and Everton) have hit the glass ceiling and the only way out is with the money behind City - a sad but true reflection on modern football, I guess he's a realist

As the BBC point out, he wants to be playing first team football for his England prospects, Rafa is far less likely to play him every week, especially if Alonso sticks around - so going to a manager who knows what he's doing and who is more likely to utilise him fully is probably a good idea

But the fact remains that he's got to be thinking long term, City aren't even in Europe next season and need a lot of work to challenge Arsenal and the rest - it's going to take a while to bed in players and money is no guarantee of instant success, and Barry is nearing 30 - but I can certainly see his reasoning, it's just a punt

No comments:

Post a Comment